Become an Effective Online Instructor
Prepare for designing online courses and teaching instructor-led blended or fully online classes and training.
- Tuition and Registration
- Ten Month Fast Track Option
- Courses and Dates
- Find Online Teaching Jobs
- Frequently Asked Questions
Who Should Enroll
The courses are designed for experienced trainers and educators interested in
- the field of online teaching or training or
- adding blended/flipped classroom techniques to their skill set.
- Technical and community college instructors (adjunct and full-time)
- Educators seeking training for a post-retirement second career
- Applicants for tenure-track jobs at universities
- Graduate students seeking training in online teaching to enhance a Masters or Doctoral degree resume
- Trainers in corporations, nonprofit organizations, business, government, and military
- College and university professors (adjunct and full-time)
- K-12 teachers (blended classrooms and virtual schools)
- Clinical healthcare educators involved in patient education, healthcare education, continuing education or in-service education, community health education, or academic healthcare education
- Nurse educators for RN, BSN and MSN programs
- Curriculum consultants, professional development coordinators, and distance education leaders
- Continuing education facilitators
How much will it cost?2016-2017 - $441 per semester hour graduate credit
Each course is 3 semester hours graduate credit ($1323 per course)
Tuition Due Dates
Tuition is the same for Wisconsin residents, out-of-state and international students.
- No registration fee and no program application
- E-textbooks are provided at no additional cost
- Remote access to the extensive UW-Stout Library system
- Includes full access to lynda.com self-paced video tutorials to help develop course management and other technology skills
- Brainfuse eTutoring, an on-demand support system, is available in a number of subjects including writing, computers, and technology
Is financial aid available?Scholarship Application for Online Students
UW-Stout Office of Financial Aid
You may qualify for financial assistance if you are enrolled in a masters degree program for at least five (5) graduate credits in a semester.
Stout University Foundation sponsors scholarships for graduate students.
When can I start and how do I register online?Register Online
Reserve your spot now. This program is very popular and courses fill well before the start date.
All courses are offered three times each year (spring, summer, and fall).
Do I need to apply for admission to the university's graduate program?No, you do not need to apply for graduate admission to the university unless you are beginning a Master's degree program at University of Wisconsin-Stout.
When is the registration deadline?Registration is available until each session is filled or five business days before the course begins.
What is the prerequisite?Completion of a bachelor's degree
How long is a course?8 weeks
5 Courses to Earn Your Graduate Certificate
May I enroll in one course, such as E-learning for Educators, without taking the other courses?Yes, you may enroll in any of these courses for professional development.
NOTE: You may also transfer the course graduate credits as electives in the Master of Science in Education graduate degree or the Master of Science in Career and Technical Education degree
Ten Month Fast Track Option
10 Month Options
Complete all five courses (15 credits) and receive an official university paper Graduate Certificate in E-learning and Online Teaching to scan and include with your curriculum/vitae and on your LinkedIn profile.
It's possible to skip a term or two between courses if that works better than taking the courses back to back.
Finding Online Teaching Jobs
What type of online teaching job opportunities are available?Check out our E-learning and Online Teaching Graduate Certificate Career Center.
How will a graduate certificate help me?
- Expand your job opportunities beyond geographical boundaries. Work anywhere and live where you want.
- Include your graduate certificate courses on your resume and LinkedIn profile as an indication of your commitment to acquiring new skills and extending your knowledge.
- Document your subject matter expertise in e-learning to enhance your existing masters or terminal degree.
- Share your online portfolio to showcase your expertise and competencies to prospective employers.
~ The Certificate Solution
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there an application fee?No
Is the course open to international students?Yes, students from 23 different countries have enrolled in this program.
Will I receive a certificate document to include with my resume?Upon successful completion of the five courses with tuition paid current to date, each student is mailed a signed certificate with the University of Wisconsin-Stout official seal titled "Graduate Certificate in E-learning and Online Teaching".
Our students include a scanned copy of their certificate with their resume and LinkedIn profile to document their commitment to acquiring new skills and extending teaching/training knowledge.
Also, our graduates create an online portfolio showcasing their expertise and competencies.
Are online courses open to veterans and military service members?Yes, you can work online from anywhere in the world. We encourage veterans and military service members working at the graduate level to join our program. UW-Stout was selected as a Military Friendly School, and this honor places us in the top 15 percent of all schools nationwide.
Will the courses include designing self-paced learning materials?Consider our Instructional Design Certificate program if you seek training in the skills necessary to develop
- self-paced e-learning products
- print materials
- computer-based training
- orientations and compliance tutorials
- project management
- redesign of existing curriculum for just-in-time delivery and electronic performance support systems (EPSS)
- Eight-week intensive online courses
- Expert facilitation by experienced online instructors
- Small, highly interactive classes (limit to 15 students)
- Professional-quality projects for an e-portfolio to aid in job searches
- Career mentoring and job placement assistance
- Highly competitive tuition
- Credits apply as electives in the Master of Science in Education graduate degree program
For More Information...Request Information Online
Contact Us: Dennis O'Connor, Program Advisor
E-learning and Online Teaching Certificate
University of Wisconsin - Stout
Menomonie, WI 54751
Phone: (530) 318-1145